Friday, October 18, 2013

Women's Prison & Gooli Wancooli

In Malawi, the prison system is a bit different than in the states.  I have gone on a prison outreach, so I want to explain some of the things that I saw.

The prison here is actually in town.  I passed it on the way to the grocery store all the time, and never knew it.  Looking in, I just saw some fenced off buildings, with hardly any people.  I never realized that it was the prison.

Well, some of my friends here do an outreach to the prisoners.  For the women, they bring them yarn and knitting needles, sing, and share with them.  Yes, they give them knitting needles!  Well, in Malawi, the prisons are filled with un-convicted people.  I have only been on the women’s side, so I will tell you about that, and try to get my husband to blog about the men’s side in another post.
Well on the women’s side, there are about 65 women.  Only 20 of these have been convicted of anything.  When I went, I noticed that the fence around them had holes in it, and there was only minor security.  Yet, no one tried to escape.  On the outside of the fence, there were many people gathered.  Relatives have to feed and provide clothing and bare essentials (ex. Soap) to the prisoners.  There was a check-in gate, but we just waved and drove past that.  They then proceeded to just open the gates and let us in the prison.

Before we went in, we noticed the Gooli Wancooli (traditional religion) dancers at the front of the prison.  They were teaching some of the prisoners a dance for the upcoming Prison day open house.  It was really strange.  Here is a video of that.  One of the women who has lived here for 20+ years is talking about them in the background of the video.




In the prison, only a handful of women are wearing the prison uniform.  All the rest are wearing their own clothes.  And then, there are the babies!  Women are allowed to have their young children with them in jail.  There were tons of babies.

The reason why we were there, is that we were part of an outreach that gives the women yarn.  They knit or crochet hats, scarves, etc.  Then they are sold to help provide for the women’s basic needs for soap, food, etc.  Right now, my friend Marion is paying for this completely, but the future goal is that this will support itself.

Now, you may wonder if the people in the prison are dangerous, well I am sure that there may be a couple, but the women that I met were in there for offenses such as:

1                             1)Not having the proper visa to be in Malawi
                   2) Moving the neighbors laundry during an argument, and thus having to pay a $30 fine (which is about a months salary), and not having the money to do so
                    3) Stealing food for her family
                    4) Being accused of wrongdoing by her husband

Now, I am sure that some people in there are definite criminals, but many are not.  This is a male-dominated society, and whatever the husband says is taken as the truth.  It wasn’t until 5-10 years ago that women were even allowed to wear pants!  The president would make women change at the airport before letting them into the country!

Well, this one women I met there has a newborn baby.  Her child was born in prison.  Her husband accused her of killing her other child.  Now, the husband has run off, and can’t be found.  There is no longer an accuser, yet, the women still sits in jail.  She has never seen a judge.  Yet, because her husband accused her of this, she must remain in jail.

I am not sure of her innocence, yet, I am not sure of her guilt either. 

Today, I am grateful for the American judicial system, where at least people are tried or let go.

What do you think about this prison system??









No comments:

Post a Comment